Saturday 10 December 2011

Argumentative Goldfinches

As winter sets in and the weather gets colder the number of goldfinches in the garden increases, sometimes as many of 30 can be seen competing for the sunflower hearts in the bird feeders.
Most of the times they are harmonious, seemingly not to mind being in close proximity to each other.
.
.
However, occasionally, for apparently no reason, one can take offence at another:


.
A skirmish on the feeder can then often ensue:
.
.
The skirmish then increases as the birds start to move off the feeder
.
.
Before taking the argument into the air
.
.
And eventually away from the feeders.
.
.
Any opportunist Goldfinches,  watching the argument from a branch nearby, can make the most of the situation:
.
.
 With the two trouble makers no where to be seen and the new arrival making most of the opportunity, it seems peace has returned to the feeders, at least for a short while......
.
.
.. That is until a collared dove turns up:
.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos as ever!

    Martin G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures as always. I particularly like the last one.
    I never get goldfinches in my garden though I do get the odd chaffinch and once a bullfinch. There don't seem to be any in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martin,
    Of course there are a lot of out focus pictures which didn't make it to the post
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,
    I did like how it seemed to tell a story.
    A bullfinch? Wow!! I've only ever seen two in my life and never in a garden.
    It's strange how some gardens have lots of birds and some don't - I guess there's a Phd in there somewhere.
    When we first moved to Abingdon we had siskins in the garden, but they never returned.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete