Tuesday 16 November 2010

Return of the Otter

In Feburary I found an otter spraint under the bridge where the Ock flows underneath the A34. Since then I have  regularly checked the site to find if there are more spraints and nine months later I have at last found a new fresh one:
.
.
Like it's predecessor, it was taken home  (in a plastic pot I reserve for such matters) and dissected it.  The best way I've found is to soak it water, not only does it come apart but the jasmine smell becomes stronger - making it evident that is an otter.
I suspected that it might contain signs of crayfish - as I have found two dead ones in the past twelve months (one almost definately a victim of an otter), instead it consisted of small fish bones (like the first one), the 1p coin is to give a sense of scale:
.
.
.
.
When leaving the bridge, I thought I saw something swim across the river - to big to be a water vole and definitely not a moorhen, although one was making a swift exit.  So not only have I found another spraint, but perhaps I got a quick glimpse of one of the rarest and elusive creatures in Oxfordshire.
Like the best animal mysteries, no photographic evidence was recorded.

2 comments:

  1. Great news - Richard, and well done for your persistence in monitoring the area. Let us hope Otters continue to visit the Ock and maybe stay to breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David,
    I have only surveyed the south bank, so there may be spraints on the inaccessible north bank.
    I wonder if otter activity increases on the ock during winter when the water gets higher.
    There seem to be enough trees on the banks for an otter make a holt, so maybe we will have breeding otters at some point. As they are so elusive they may already be breeding on the ock and we don't know.

    ReplyDelete